Are you looking for best practice guidelines for product descriptions in your online shop?
Not sure how best to write your product description in Magento?
Want to find out what the best way to list a product is to optimise your Magento listing and simplify your life?
A client asked us to find out more about this, so we did some research, and here’s what we found:
Five Flaws in your online shop product description – or the Five big NO NO’s of online product copy writing
1. Lack of Product Description
– Don’t copy content from other websites
– Make it your own
– Make it original
– Make it human, use the language your customers use, not your suppliers
– Keep it to less than 300 word
2. Using Product Descriptions from Manufacturers
– Copying the manufacturer description can get a site banned from search engines
– Manufacturers send this basic content to many retailers, who use it exactly as it is.
– This leads to duplicate websites with non-unique content – which search engines see sort of like spam
– It doesn’t have to be long, but it does have to be unique, and it definitely can’t be empty!
3. Lack of Product Reviews
– Pages that feature reviews will reach higher in search results than those without.
– Customer reviews are even better, because that is unique, free, product specific content. It also keeps the product page ‘alive’
4. Not optimising the title of the product for what the customers are looking for
– A lot of online shoppers are searching for a key phrase and not for a single keyword. A formula that tends to work well is the “brand-model-product” title tag recipe:
For example your title tag should be structured in this way: Brand – Model – Item Type
So instead of presuming that the customer is buying Mercedes-Benz 107 items because they are on your Mercedes website, we need to break it back to basics.
So instead of this:
SL 107 Tailor-Made Indoor Cover
We have this:
Mercedes-Benz SL 107 Tailor-Made Indoor Car Cover
6. Incoherent URL
URLs should be in human speak. Not computer speak.
The product is in the site address, it isn’t anonymous, it claims to be exactly what it is
There are 2 key reasons to use ‘speaking’ URLs:
Semantics and Relevance: It’s easier for the customer or searcher to know what to expect when they click on your URL. Having a link that does exactly what it says on the tin is also going to help search engines direct searchers to your products.
A URL that’s too long, or has lots of numbers or gibberish will look like spam… And that ain’t good for SEO or for your sales.
Link Luck: Speaking URLs make it easier for other websites to pick up and repost the links. The URL will contain important keywords in the anchor tag and if the URL is used as the anchor text. Getting keywords with anchor text that points back to your own website is one of the main ways to get to the top of search engine rankings.
7. Get the basics right
Don’t promote an article that says there are 5 flaws when you actually list 7