- 301 LM002s were built between 1986 and 1992
- It was the first 4×4 from Lamborghini
- It used the 7.2 litre, V12 engine from the Countach
- In order to meet the vehicle’s tire needs, Lamborghini commissioned Pirelli to create the Pirelli Scorpion tires with custom, run-flat tread designs. These were made specifically for the LM and were offered in two different tread designs, one for mixed use and the other for sand use only.
- These tires could be run virtually flat without risk and could handle the desert heat, the loading, and the speeds of the LM.
- The LM002 was fitted with a 290-litre fuel tank
- On 18 July 2004, at a US military base near Baqubah, members of the American military used an LM002 that had belonged to Uday Hussein to simulate the effects of a car bomb. They didn’t know what the car was, or how rare it was, and destroyed it.
In 2009, Pistonheads wrote:
“Less than half a dozen LM002s are thought to be left in the UK. Chassis number 300 came up for sale in April this year: with 27,000 miles on the clock it was a fiver under £50k. If you find one for sale, check the roof.
If it’s got an opening flap over the back seats it might be one of the 100 LM002s President Gaddafi ordered for the Libyan army, complete with machine-gun mounting points. And if you buy any LM002, don’t expect to get much joy out of Kwik-Fit when you need a new tyre.”
And we’d be willing to be that in 2016 that same vehicle would reach £100,000 at auction. Hey ho.
The LM002 had various famous owners, including prolific writer Hunter S Thompson:
“It was a big bore Lamborghini hot rod, a monstrous thing that weighed 5000 pounds with bulletproof glass and twelve cylinders with a top speed of 125 miles per hour and a .50 caliber machine-gun mount behind the drivers seat… One night on the Big Sur Highway I beat a Porsche 928 from the Carmel Bridge to Nepenthe by nine minutes, mainly because I beat her like a cheap hound on the curves. It was a small woman driving the 928 and she went all to pieces when I passed her at 110 on the Bixby Creek Bridge and then squeezed her into the sand dunes…”