Car Of The Show 2015: This
Wadebridge Wheels started off grey and wet, and slowly turned into an absolute cracker of a show. The North Cornwall event, hosted at the Royal Cornwall Showgrounds drew hoards of classic cars from around the region and further afield for the one day classic car show.
Having spent the day browsing the metal on display, we had to choose our ‘Car Of The Show’
Whether it was the colour, or the condition of the car, or a combination of factors, we just had to go with this immaculate Ford Escort RS Cosworth. With just 33,000 miles on the clock, this has to be one of the best RS Cosworths in the country!
We’ve blogged about Escort Cosworths on numerous occasions, and it’s no secret that it’s a car very near the top of the Good Shout Media ‘Must Own’ list.
The Good Shout Media Car Of Show: Wadebridge Wheels 2015
John’s Ford Escort RS Cosworth
The Lancaster Insurance Classic Motor Show is the biggest event in the UK Classic Car calendar. Good Shout Media popped along to the NEC to pick out some of the cars that WE liked at this years show; not because they’re expensive, or historically significant, or rare… just because we think they’re pretty darn cool, but what was our favourite car of the show?
Good Shout Media Car Of Classic Motor Show 2014:
The Walker Sport Ferrari 328 GTB
The Ferrari 328 is an unassuming choice for car of the show. There are plenty of more valuable, faster, rarer, more impressive vehicles to choose from but something about this Ferrari 328 GTB really caught our eye. We’d innitially snapped photos of it on the Saturday, but couldn’t help going back for a closer look and a few more pictures on Sunday.
The car belongs to WalkerSport Ferrari, dedicated Ferrari specialists based in Shropshire.
The way the white and gold work with the red paintwork and the silver wheels really set this car off, the shape of the 328 lends itself to a two-tone colour scheme and WalkerSport have really nailed it in the aesthetics department.
The uprated and stiffer suspension mean the car sits lower than a standard 328, and the addition of larger wheels give the 328 a purpose that the factory model lacks. It somehow looks far more determined than a standard model – we always thought the 328 looked a bit soft for what it was.
BTB Exhausts put together a complete custom exhaust for the Ferrari 328 GTB which looks incredible.
At Good Shout Media it’s not often that we drool over a car covered in decals – race cars just aren’t really our thing, but this Ferrari 328 GTB combines style with luxury and a whole heap of classic Ferrari competitive agression, and for that reason, it was our Car of the Show 2014.
Here’s the story from WalkerSport Ferrari:
“WalkerSport acquired this Ferrari 328 GTB in March 2011 to compete in the Pirelli Ferrari Formula Classic series.
The 328 GTB was originally a rather unloved example, which had been converted from LHD to RHD sometime before WalkerSport took ownership. This 328 GTB was originally black, so in making the modifications WalkerSport weren’t diluting the numbers of ‘premium’ 328s left in the world as being a less than tidy example this car didn’t fit into that category.
The first job was removing a lot of the original parts. In order to comply with the Pirelli Ferrari Classic Std car class, the car has to retain the original dash board and centre tunnel, but everything else can go; so the seats, carpets, steering wheel, sound proofing, roof lining and seat belts were removed.
After a quick clean up and basic satin black coat of paint on the inside, a roll cage and racing seats were fitted. The seats were donated from a Ferrari 360 Challenge, which have a wider seat base than the original items, meaning the car needed new seat mountings to be fitted. The suede Momo steering wheel was mounted using a Hill Engineering 25mm spacer to bring it closer to the driver, and the new steering wheel is almost identical in shape and pattern as the original item.”
Full Spec of the WalkerSport Ferrari 328 GTB Group 3 Race Car:
- Rebush all suspension
- Brand new Brembo brakes
- New Pagid Blue Brake Pads
- All 4 calipers refurbished
- Goodrich Braided Brake Lines
- Uprated Revalve Koni suspension
- New uprated suspension springs
- Fit ducting to cool front brakes
- Remove cam covers to check proper timing marks, rectify oil leaks, (forward cam cover, gear linkage, cam seals)
- Refurbished and uprated fuel metering unit
- Custom exhaust and manifolds
- New air intake hoses
- Samco silicone Water hoses
- Valvoline Race oil
- Change gearbox oil
- New Cam belts + bearings
- New water pump and bearings
- Remove Air conditioning compressor, matrix, dryer etc for weight reduction
- Strip interior (original dash and gear leaver tunnel as per regulations)
- Remove soundproofing, carpets, roof lining etc
- Stripped boot compartment
- Standard electric mirrors replaced with Vitaloni Manual Units
- Custom seat rail brackets
- 2 x Ferrari 360 Challenge seats
- Fitted roll cage and harnesses
- 50mm Hill Engineering steering wheel spacer
- Momo race steering wheel
- Hill Engineering Pedal Kit
- Hill Engineering quick shift gate with reverse lock
- Added left foot rest
FIA Race Requirements:
- Fit FIA plummed in Fire extinguisher (accessible inside the car and outside by marshall)
- Fit FIA Engine Master switch (accessible inside the car and outside by marshal)
- Fit additional side impact protection
- Brake Bias has been left standard
- O/S fuel tank removed and balance pipes plugged - Corner weight and adjust, Ballast added, ride height set
- Fresh MOT (all class 3 cars must be road legal)