Wadebridge Wheels started off grey and wet, and slowly turned into an absolute cracker of a show. The North Cornwall event, hosted at the Royal Cornwall Showgrounds drew hoards of classic cars from around the region and further afield for the one day classic car show.
Having spent the day browsing the metal on display, we had to choose our ‘Car Of The Show’
Whether it was the colour, or the condition of the car, or a combination of factors, we just had to go with this immaculate Ford Escort RS Cosworth. With just 33,000 miles on the clock, this has to be one of the best RS Cosworths in the country!
We’ve blogged about Escort Cosworths on numerous occasions, and it’s no secret that it’s a car very near the top of the Good Shout Media ‘Must Own’ list.
The Good Shout Media Car Of Show: Wadebridge Wheels 2015
John’s Ford Escort RS Cosworth
1. Built to commemorate Ford’s success in the 1993-1994 Monte Carlo rallies, the Escort RS Cosworth Monte Carlo was a limited edition run of just 200 cars worldwide.
2. The Monte Carlo came in 3 colours: Ash Black, Mallard Green, Jewel Violet
3. Unconfirmed reports suggest that just 10 of the 70 UK models were painted Jewel Violet, one of which has been written off – the 9 remaining cars really are the jewel of the Cosworth crown.
4. To crunch the maths, 7145 Cosworths were made between 1992 and 1996, meaning that just 2.8% of these were Monte Carlos. If 10 of these were painted Jewel Violet, then that’s just 0.14% of the total production run!
5. Because the Monte Carlo was an early car, they didn’t come with leather as standard, so the most desirable Ford Escort RS Cosworth actually comes with the slightly more naff cloth seats. They’re Recaro, at least, but hey, can’t have it all.
You’re never too old for diecast cars. You can call them toys, or models, or collectibles, or a hobby, but either way – we still think they’re awesome. We always sneak a cheeky look at the Hotwheels or Matchbox cars in supermarkets or whilst out and about, and have a particular preference for anything Porsche. Here’s a few we’ve rounded up so far:
Matchbox Ford Escort Cosworth
Eurgh, that paint scheme is hideous… The Escort Cosworth has never been a popular one for ‘proper’ models, and the ones that do look half decent are always let down by the spoiler. No one seems to be able to get it right, adding a plastic stick on item instead of a properly moulded unit like on some of the Porsches we’ve seen. Design wise, this Matchbox diecast isn’t bad, the shape is right, but it’s let down by the colour scheme, the tinted windows and that spoiler. If they’d just done it all one body colour, Mallard green maybe?? If anyone knows of a one-colour Matchbox Cosworth, or any half-decent 1/64 scale Cosworth then we’d be interested to hear from you.
They’ve got a rare Escort RS Cosworth Monte Carlo in stock:
They take good photos:
They have an Audi R8 in stock, and they want you to know:￼
They sell Range Rovers, apparently by the bucket load:
Check them out here: http://www.derbytradecars.co.uk/used/ford-cosworth-monte-carlo-6026